The conservative right yells “Shadow Government!” The liberal left roll their collective eyes and yell, “Conspiracy Theory!” Below I have made a list of shadow government related “coincidental” facts, referenced and complete with sources. All of which beg the question: How many “coincidences” does it take to go from crazy theory to uncomfortable reality?
Conspiracy Theory: Obama administration works to tie Trump and his administration to Russia via legal and illegal means. Examples in the news: USA Today- Donald Trump’s Ties to Russia Go Back 30 Years, New York Mag- What We Already Know About Trump’s Ties to Russian Amounts to Treachery to the Republic (this one includes a diabolically ironic foray into Russia’s history of meddling in foreign elections. Because the US doesn’t do that at all- more on that in a minute.), The New York Times- Obama Administration Rushed to Preserve Evidence of Russian Election Hacking (thank goodness we have them to protect us).
1. In June 2016, The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court denies a FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) request by the Obama Administration to monitor then presidential candidate, Donald Trump, along with some of his advisors. Source: Heatstreet
- Note: A denial is rare, as in only .03% of requests are denied. During the 07′-08′ election cycle there were 2370 and 2083 requests respectively and only 5 total denied. Source: Epic.org2. In October 2016, FISA grants the Obama administration request, focusing on surveillance of a computer server in Trump Tower that would allegedly tie Trump campaign to Russian banks. No evidence was found, but the wiretapping was continued citing the premise of “national security.” Source: Heatstreet3. Just before Obama left office, his administration expanded the power of the NSA (National Security Agency) to share globally intercepted personal communications with the government’s 16 other intelligence agencies before applying privacy protections. Source: New York Times
2. In October 2016, FISA grants the Obama administration request, focusing on surveillance of a computer server in Trump Tower that would allegedly tie Trump campaign to Russian banks. No evidence was found, but the wiretapping was continued citing the premise of “national security.” Source: Heatstreet
3. Just before Obama left office, his administration expanded the power of the NSA (National Security Agency) to share globally intercepted personal communications with the government’s 16 other intelligence agencies before applying privacy protections. Source: New York Times
– Refer to coincidental fact # 1,2,4, and 5
4. In February 2017, it is illegally leaked that the FBI has intercepted a 2016 conversation between Trump’s National Security Advisor Michael Flynn (who was at the time a private citizen) and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak. Flynn resigns after Obama holdover Sally Yates cites an FBI transcript of the intercepted call. Subsequent investigations reveal that Flynn was not guilty of any wrongdoing. The FBI refuses to release the transcript in its entirety for unknown reasons. Source: National Review
– Refer to coincidental fact # 1,2, and 3
5. In March Trump’s Attorney General Jeff Sessions recuses himself from investigations into alleged Trump/Russia campaign collusion due to reports that he had twice been in contact with the Russian Ambassador during the campaign in his capacity as a U.S. Senator. Democrats claim this contradicts Sessions’ previous testimony at his confirmation hearings, but Sessions argues this claim is made out of context to the question he was answering regarding a CNN article. Source: Washington Post
– Refer to coincidental fact # 1,2,3, and 4
Conspiracy Theory: Obama and his “Shadow Government” work to undermine Trump’s temporary travel ban. Examples in the News: Forbes: As Judges Block Immigration Order, Ninth Circuit Dissenters Rebel.
6. Hawaii US District Court Judge Derrick Watson rules against Trump’s temporary travel ban claiming that is in essence an “unconstitutional Muslim ban”. Source: Vox
– Refer to fact # 7, 8, and 9
7. Judge Derrick Watson is a college classmate of Obama. They are both 1991 graduates of Harvard Law School. Source: Wikipedia
8. Obama nominated Watson to the US District court in 2012. Source: Wikipedia
9. Obama made an unexpected visit to Hawaii in the days prior to Watson’s ruling. 24 hours prior to Watson’s ruling, Obama reportedly dined at the upscale restaurant Noi Thai Cuisine located minutes from Watson’s courthouse and “within five minutes of the judge’s house at one point on the drive over.” Source: Hawaii News Now and Conservative Tribune.
- Nice photo ops posted on the Noi Thai Cuisine Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NoiThaiCuisineHawaii/photos/pcb.1690362701264102/1690361901264182/?type=3&theater
Conspiracy Theory: Obama, his administration, as well as various Democrats also have disturbing Russian ties that are all but ignored by the mainstream media. Examples in the conservative news: The Hill- Trump Allies Look to Turn Tables on Dems, Media.
10. In March of 2012, at the global nuclear security summit, President Obama told then Russia President Dmitri Medvedev over a mic that he didn’t realize was on that he would have more “flexibility” to deal with him regarding missile defense after the US election. Source:Reuters
– You can listen to the audio here:
– Refer to coincidental fact # 1,2,3,4, and 5
11. Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak along with other Russian officials have visited the White House at least 22 times during Obama’s tenure. His Obama administration hosts have included John Holdren, Gary Samore, Robert Malley, Lawrence Summers, and Michael Froman. Source: Daily Caller .
-Refer to coincidental fact # 12 and 13
12. Democrats who vilify Session’s contact with the Russian Ambassador and vehemently claim that there is no reason for such meetings, such as Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo) who also claimed she had never met or spoken with the ambassador. This claim was found to be false when National Review’s Charles C.W. Cooke unearthed tweets by Sen. McCaskill regarding two meetings with Kislyak in 2013 and 2015. Other Democratic Senators who have had dealing with the Russian Ambassador include: Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Maria Cantwell (D-Washington), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Jack Reed (D-RI), Robert Casey (D-PA), and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI). Source: Fox News Politics
13. The Clinton’s made major bank with their Russia Uranium Deal. Leaders in the Canadian mining industry that also happen to be major donors of the Clinton’s “charitable endeavors” sold the company, Uranium One to the Russians. This sale gave the Russians control of 1/5th of all the US uranium production. This was such a “big deal” that it had to be signed off on by the US government. The State Dept. headed by none other than Hillary Clinton signed off on the deal among other agencies. In the years that followed, Canadian records have tracked millions in publicly undisclosed contributions from Uranium One to the Clinton Foundation. Source: Literally tons, but in this case the New York Times.
– Refer to coincidental fact # 1,2,3,4,5,10,11, and 12
Conspiracy Theory: The CIA has a long history of being “politicized” and meddling in the elections of foreign governments. Obama has worked with the CIA to affect our own election as well as elections in other countries.
14. According to political scientist Don Levin, the US and Russia intervened in 117 elections around the world from 1946-2000. One notable example illustrating the US’s use of the CIA in foreign elections is the 1948 US backing of the Italian Christian Democrats over the left wing coalition. CIA tactics included operatives giving millions of dollars to Italian allies to orchestrate a clandestine propaganda campaign. Elements of this campaign included:
- Forging documents to ruin the reputations of opposing party leaders via fabricated sex scandals.
- Spreading hysteria about a Russian takeover of the Catholic Church.
- Paying selected politicians to defray their political expenses, campaign expenses, posters, and pamphlets.
- Mark Wyatt, the CIA officer in charge of the mission said the campaign went on for at least 25 years.
- “organizing slum dwellers”
- Source: The Washington Post
Refer to coincidental fact # 1,2,3,4,5,10, and 13
15. A congressional investigation concluded that in 2015 Obama’s State Department paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxpayer funds to support an Israeli group building a campaign to get rid of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Source: The Washington Times
– Refer to coincidental fact # 14
- Now that we have established precedent, lets move on to facts related to the CIA and the Obama administration.
16. Obama nominated John Brennan as head of the CIA in 2013. Prior to this, Brennan had served as Obama’s Advisor for Counterterrorism and Homeland Security since 2009. Source: Obama Whitehouse Archives
– Refer to coincidental fact # 14
17. Brennan has heavy ties to the Saudi oil sector. Brennan was president of “The Analysis Corporation,” whose parent company is Global Strategies Group, which is a private security firm that specializes in providing security in the Middle East and Africa within the oil sector. Source: Wikipedia and Sourcewatch
– Refer to coincidental fact #16
18. Brennan’s CIA concluded after investigation that indeed Russia intervened in the US election to help Trump win the election even though other intelligence agencies expressed that some “questions remained unanswered”. This had the effect of undermining public faith in the election process even though official documents released claimed that the purpose of the investigation was actually to prevent the loss of faith in the election process. Source: The Washington Post
– Refer to coincidental fact # 14,15,16, and 17
19. In March of 2017 Wikileaks dumped “Vault 7” which is devoted to leaked CIA information. Among a preponderance of troubling CIA capabilities, applicable information includes:
- CIA malware targets Windows, Osx, Linux, and routers.
- CIA “Cyberwar” programs are “not possible to keep under effective control.” “A number of intelligence community members not yet publicly named have been arrested or subject to federal criminal investigations in separate incidents.” “Incidents” refers to mishandling (including leaking) of classified information. These individuals have been known to hack information from other intelligence agencies such as the NSA.
- The CIA’s UMBRAGE group maintains a substantial library of “stolen” malware from other countries- including Russia. With this technology the CIA is capable of attributing their own attacks to these other countries by leaving behind the “fingerprints” of whichever entity they desire to misdirect responsibility onto.
- Source: Wikileaks Vault 7
- Refer to coincidental fact # 1,2,3,4,5,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,18
Maybe the more appropriate question here is: How many ignored inter-related “coincidental facts” does it take before an individual is considered naive? I would posit that the existence of the previous 19 “coincidences” would defy conventional logic.